Search This Blog

Sunday 14 March 2010

Getting there

Travel huh! There’s always something that happens unexpectedly – either good or bad – but there’s always something.


Take Thursday, 11 March at around 2pm. I arrive at Sydney airport to check in for my United flight to San Francisco. Miraculously there was no queue. Not even one person. Thrilled with the special treatment I was now about to receive, I drag my bag up to the nice lady at the counter and presented my passport. Within a minute or two, after she had raised her eyebrows a couple of times, she picked up the phone. Beauty! I thought, they’re going to upgrade me to business class. No such luck. My ticket had been booked for Linda Linda Callaghan to travel to San Jose. After 45 minutes at the special needs counter, the kind man finally worked out that to get me on the plane I needed paper tickets, for my entire trip. Don’t lose them he said, they’re just like money. What if I want to change the dates, I asked. Oh, that will be very difficult. So I will just spend the day at an airport trying to sort it out if need be? Yeah, probably. Great, let the adventures begin….


First two nights – San Jose, Costa Rica. There really isn’t much to say about my experience in San Jose. After 35 hours travelling, then waiting 4 hours to get into my room, much of my time in San Jose was a blur. The city itself is compact, with narrow streets and very few street signs. Imagine the back streets of Newtown, add a bit of dust and dirt and subtract about 50 years. There, you might have the picture now. I really do like Newtown though… in 2010.