Search This Blog

Friday 21 May 2010

Rocking in Yoga

Thursday afternoon was my last yoga class with Lauren and I wanted to savour every moment. Practising each day on the yoga deck, looking out to the Pacific Ocean, sometimes watching monkeys playing in the trees, has been an absolute treat. Often Lauren's voice had to compete against howler monkeys or a heavy rainfall but Thursday provided something slightly different.

We were doing our final asanas, just prior to going into savasana which is the final relaxation and meditation, when the building started gently rocking. Lauren and I caught each other with widened eyes. Very calmly, Lauren asked, if we were going to have an earthquake, does anyone know what we'd do. Given we were in a structure with no permanent walls my contribution was we run out the back up the hill in case the building slides down. Most were pretty relaxed about what had just happened so we agreed to continue and finish the class. I found it a bit more difficult this time to relax and meditate but I'm sure you understand.


There in fact was an earthquake in Costa Rica at 1616 local time on Thursday. Magnitude was 5.9 and the epicentre was about 140km away from Punta Banco. I would have been much closer had I still been in Jaco. I believe in the scale of earthquakes this guy was relatively minor and there were no injuries.

Check here for the official report http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/neic_wmce_l.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.