Search This Blog

Monday 25 July 2011

Dhenkanal RTI Master Training

Well my weekend was a blast! After having dinner and drinking too much wine with my flatmate on Friday night, I was up before 5am to meet Sujata to get a train at 6am that turned out to be at 6.45am. We then went to Dhenkanal which is a couple of hours away for a Master Trainer Program on RTI. What these guys do it train up people in the different villages to use the Right to Information Act and help their communities so they attend this two day course. Basically we sit around on the floor in a big circle (women on one side, men on the other) in a dusty decaying building and it is all spoken in Oriya. I was completely nodding off less than an hour into it so Sujata asked if I wanted to take rest and I said yes, after lunch. So after lunch I spent the entire afternoon lying on a sheet on a concrete floor in another room of this building reading Holy Cow and dozing. Sujata came in a couple of times to lay down and she curled up next to me and spooned. At other times people would come into the room and have meetings while I was sleeping. This is all quite normal for me now. We hung around in the evening to eat dinner at about 9pm then went back to the "office" where we all slept on the concrete floor. I did get a thin foam yoga mat to sleep on and had a pillow but no sheet over me this time. Sunday was a bit the same. I got up and went to Anu's sister in law's house where I could use the bathroom to shower and clean up. There they gave me some mango, pomegranite and biscuits then we headed to the hall for breakfast and it was the same all over again except that we didn't get back to the office until about 10.30pm last night then I had to talk to some guy for a while about his organisation but at 11pm I just couldn't do it any more. At 5.30am this morning Sujata woke me to tell me I need to get moving. I went to Anu's sister in law's house again but their water wasn't working so I went back to the hall to use the bathroom. At 7am we got the slow train that took three hours and I finally made it back to my apartment by about 10.45am where I could finally have a cigarette and be in my own space. So that was my weekend, how was yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.