Search This Blog

Thursday 29 July 2010

Markets





























































The indigenous population in Guatemala is around 60% of the total population so there is a very strong Mayan culture, particularly in these western highlands where most of the population is Mayan. There are several different tribes amongst the Mayan population and at least 20 different languages spoken – with vast differences between them. Most Mayans wear traditional dress which, for women consists of a huipil (tunic), long wrap-around skirt and belt. The huipil varies from tribe to tribe with some more elaborate than others.


Santiago La Laguna is another village along Lake Atitlan and the huipil there is very intricate with detailed embroidery of birds and flowers. I was told that it could sometimes take up to one week to embroider just one bird – I only wish I knew that when I was negotiating for one.


I spent an afternoon in Santiago which was lovely (until the rain came). This village has much less of a tourist influence and the locals, like most Guatemalans, are lovely to speak to.



Chichicastenango, as well as having one of the best names, also holds the largest and most famed market in Guatemala. This is held on Thursdays and Sundays and is a colourful and psychedelic display of Guatemalan textiles and handicrafts. Negotiating in a market here can take a while but is such a pleasant experience, it is all done so gently and respectfully. I think I did my bit for the local economy that day, requiring me to send, thus far, the largest and heaviest box of stuff home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.