Search This Blog

Thursday 7 October 2010

An uneventful couple of weeks

Well I'm sorry to report that the past week and a half has seen me doing not too much at all. I have kept on moving and everywhere I've been I've been commonly referred to as the sick girl or coughing girl.

I spent a couple of days in Placencia in Belize before getting the boat across to Honduras. One thing that constantly surprised me in Belize when on buses was the cultural mix. Yes, there are plenty of Mayan, Spanish, Garifuna, Caribe, Creole in Belize - to be expected. But every time I got on a bus in the mainland, I would always see Mennonites. The plainly-dressed white skinned, blonde haired and blue eyed Mennonites always beckoned a second glance. There is quite a large community of them here in Belize.

The boat ride to Puerto Cortes was quite a trip. I was coughing the entire way to the point where my eyeballs nearly popped out. But that was quite okay considering I didn't notice half of the driftwood and trees floating in the water. We were on an extremely fast boat and it wasn't always easy for the captain to see whatever was floating in our way. At one point we did hit something but it did no great damage. Often we'd be speeding along and then at the last second quickly turn to avoid something. Most things I think were the product of Tropical Storm Matthew, as well as the regular debris. I did manage to spot a few entire coconut palms floating by though - no kidding.

I managed to get as far as San Pedro Sula that day - the HIV/AIDS capital of Central America. Not a particularly desirable location and it was probably just as well as I didn't really get out much. The one saving grace was a very nice restaurant across the road from the hostel so a group of us had a bit of a splurge on Saturday night - steak and red wine - as enticing to me as lobster right now. I got down to the chemist as well. You can get most prescription medications over the counter here but I thought I'd just stick to mega doses of vitamins.

I've spent the past five days in and around La Ceiba - another non-eventful and undesirable location. Its where you can really see the difference between the Central American cultures as well. I can't remember the last place I was in where you are constantly wolf-whistled and hassled as you walk down any street - it is constant and annoying so far in Honduras.

I just spent a couple of days at a place in a national park nearby La Ceiba, quite a pretty spot by a river. You can really tell it's low season though as there is hardly anyone around. Most of yesterday we were without electricity and last night there was no beer at all. Fortunately I had my travelling bar of rum and wine. There was another couple staying there too - Aussie guy and Dutch girl. We'd sit around at night drinking and playing cards - I provided the bar and they provided the cards and company. Who knew there was a Monopoly version of cards!

Tomorrow I'm heading off for a week long trip to La Moskitia - the Mosquito Coast. That is the main reason I've been hanging around here this week - that and to get back to health. I'm looking forward to getting on the road and doing stuff again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.