Search This Blog

Wednesday 27 April 2011

Lifestyles of the poor and anonymous

While in India, volunteers are paid a stipend which is equivalent to a middle management NGO worker. We get the equivalent of about A$50 per week. While this amount can go a long way in India for an Indian, it is slightly more difficult for a foreigner. There is always the expectation that because we are foreigners, we are rich and so therefore are overcharged for many things - finding out the correct price is a constant battle. The other reason it is difficult is our own conditioning. It is very difficult to suddenly give up all the luxuries we are used to. Sometimes one just really needs that nice cup of coffee, or cold beer, or a weekend away, or a night out...

Volunteers are placed in accommodation, usually by their employers. There is a budget and guideline of minimum standards, which are very basic but do allow the luxuries of electricity and water (most of the time) and security.

Here are some pictures of my apartment when I first arrived. I have done some decorating in the past few weeks and will post some more photos soon.

I am living in a small collection of rooms at the top of a house in an old residential part of Bhubaneswar. The family who owns the house lives on the middle floor and another family lives on the bottom floor.





They have all adopted me as their daughter which at first is very flattering but I'm finding it also means I'm meant to play by the rules. The most imposing of these is my curfew which is 10.30pm when the front gate (for which I don't have a key) is locked. In reality it is always locked much earlier which necessitates a phone call and then discussions with everyone on where I've been and how I got home.

I need to also announce to the whole household when I'm going away or out at night - all details are required including where, with whom and when I'll be back. We then begin the negotiations of how late I can stay out. The upside of this is the occasional delivery of food when I've been ill so I guess it goes both ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.