Search This Blog

Thursday 19 August 2010

Destination Mexico























































After leaving the farm and craving conversation and maybe a little bit of technology, I got to the town of Huehuetenango where I was to meet up with Lucy and we'd head to Mexico the following day.
Plan was to get there, check my emails after a week's absence, eat and maybe sit somewhere and drink a beer and read a book.

Well, it turned out that Huehue had no electricity when I got there at about noon. Magda, the lovely lady who ran the glamorous Hotel Central told me it would be back on at 4pm. We ended up with power out for the entire town until around midnight so it was another very boring day for me in the hotel room reading another book. There were no bars in the town and the central park was barricaded off so I couldn't even sit in the park and read. I was so happy when Lucy arrived in the evening when I'd just returned from buying some cheap wine so we could sip that out of plastic cups by candlelight and catch up on our last week.

Next day after eight modes of transport, we crossed the border into Mexico and arrived at San Cristobal De Las Casas, a lovely colonial town in the southern state of Chiapas. It is so nice to be in Mexico where everything is a little closer to the luxuries of home and my expectations for food quality are quite high. We pottered around San Cristobal for a couple of days and met some other backpackers who were quite good fun.

San Cristobal is up in the mountains so therefore it is rather chilly and it is still the rainy season here so each afternoon there is a huge downpour where the streets become rivers. My clumsiness combined with slippery surfaces is not ideal and I am starting to develop some spectacular bruises.

Anyways, we're very excited for the beach and are heading out to Puerto Escondido on the night bus tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.