Search This Blog

Friday 14 January 2011

Back on the road again...

With too much time on my hands in Sydney I thought it was a good idea to get away for a little while before getting ready for India. Not many frequent flyer flights available in January, so a booked a return to Singapore and thought I'd figure it out from there.

I should've known that getting the A380 to Singapore would be fraught with problems, but lucky for me, they served me well.

I first flew to Melbourne and ordered a glass of red before waiting to board. Then they announced a rolling delay. Turns out it's a tad inconvenient to have a catering truck crash into an aircraft. This involved engineers determining the damage, a conference to put in place a contingency plan to change aircraft, and a conference call with Airbus in Toulouse to determine if the aircraft was flightworthy - which it was. But that took four hours to figure out.

Meanwhile, we all got a $30 voucher to spend at the shops in the airport. Catch was it all had to be spent in one place. No guesses where the huge queue was. So with a smattering of snackfoods left, I ordered a spinach and fetta filo roll, three glasses of red (they were quite small) and a bottle of water. Really not a bad way to round out four hours waiting for the plane while reading Bukowski.

We finally arrived in Singapore at 1.30am local time, too late for me to check into my hostel which closed at midnight. So I found a Qantas person to see if they could help. Yes she could is the answer. The kind lady organised a room in a five star hotel and said the concierge would pay the taxi driver. Admittedly by the time I got to my room it was 2.30am and I was pretty shagged. But when I woke up they gave me a full breakfast and, on checking out, another SGD25 to get to the airport. But I wasn't going to the airport so that paid for my bus fare up to Melaka in Malaysia.

Thanks Qantas - the only way to fly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.