Search This Blog

Monday 14 March 2011

The Network





The most important thing when moving to a new place is developing a social network. The great thing about the volunteer community is that in many places this is instantly created and the volunteers who've been here a while are all eager to show the newbies the ropes which is very necessary in a place like Bhubaneswar.


For a start, there's not really any maps - nothing reliable anyway I'm told. It is a big sprawling town and after getting around for a few days I am still as confused about where I am as when I first arrived. Forget addresses, street signs and landmarks - you really need to know where you're going or at least have someone take you the first couple of times until you get the hang of it.


I was lucky after meeting Ashley in Berhampur, she connected me to the volunteers in Bhubaneswar and it turned out to be a relatively productive week with Paul taking me out to a dance festival and a ride around town, Evans helping me try to register at the foreign office, clothes shopping and various other practical necessities.


This was topped off by a weekend at Gopalpur-on-sea with group of volunteers and expats. I wasn't expecting it to be so soon that I'd be swimming and relaxing at the beach - albeit an Indian seaside resort and swimming with clothes on. I'll take any opportunity I can while I'm here to cool off. Gopalpur is a really nice and quiet seaside town and one I'm sure I'll be back to and write more about later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.